Would you mind if I took a couple minutes to brag? I know Mom always said no one likes a bragger. Even the Good Book, the Bible, says, “Don’t brag about yourself—let others praise you.” Proverbs 27:2 But I can’t help myself! I feel like I’m going to explode if I don’t brag a little about David’s Refuge.
Six years ago when Brenda and I started David’s Refuge, we wondered if anyone would actually sign up and come to our home for a weekend of respite. We converted David’s wing into a beautiful Bed and Breakfast. We formed a Board of Directors. We applied for our not-for-profit status. We reached out to our community for financial support. And finally, we opened our doors wondering if anyone would come. And they did!
In 2012 we served 43 families. We were blown away. Fast forward to 2018. In the month of March we served 51 couples! That is more than we served our whole first year. In the first quarter of 2018 we served 98 families. Now do you see why I had to brag? I’m sure my mom would forgive me if she were still alive. But I’m not done! Let me list a few things I just have to brag about.
- This year we have 261 weekend respite opportunities. As of today 223 of those weekend respites have been booked!
- We currently use 19 Bed and Breakfasts that love and support our mission of Caring for the Caregiver.
- We now have 28 Host couples that make sure our parents know they are not alone, what they do matters, and they are loved by God.
- Christine Corbett just joined our staff as the Director of Philanthropy, making our staff one of the most amazing nonprofit teams in all of Central New York.
- Our Board of Directors is made up of a diverse and passionate group of leaders who are fully committed to the success of David’s Refuge.
I could go on but I think I may be pressing my luck with Mom’s words of encouragement to not boast! I do want to say thank you to anyone reading this who has volunteered, prayed, financially supported, or encouraged us over the past six years. Lives are being changed, marriages held together, and families supported because of you. Thank you!
Warren and Brenda
PS: Proverbs 27:2 says, “Let others praise you.” If there is something you want to boast or praise David’s Refuge for, feel free to leave a comment. I promise you my Mom won’t mind!