What does the David’s Refuge Community Offer?
David’s Refuge is a community that supports and cares for parents/caregivers of children with special needs or a life threatening illness to empower them to lead their families with strength and grace. David’s Refuge offer many wonderful Areas of Caring to our families. We encourage parents to engage in all of the services that fit their family and will support them best.
- Weekend Respite – Parents enjoy two nights in a B&B or hotel with other amazing moms and dads. Caregiving Couples/Single parents enjoy a combination of time with others and time on their own.
- Parent Night Out – This program is available once per year for our families. Guest can schedule dinner at one of our partnered locations or take part in a group dinner at select locations
- Events – David’s Refuge hosts a variety of event throughout the year
- Social Media – David’s Refuge has a strong online presence. We have an active private facebook page just for our parents, a weekly email newsletter and a fantastic resource page on our website
- Caring Team – This is a lovely team of volunteers that will connect with you when you are feeling anxious, alone, disconnected…or just feelign like no one understands how hard it is to be a parent to a child with special needs or life threateninf illness
- Prayer Requests – David’s Refuge has always believed in the power of prayer. Every month we will as for prayer requests from our families. We have a wonderful team of volunteers that mindfully pray for our families.
- Wellness Webinars- David’s Refuge hosts a monthly free webinar the last Thursday of each month. Topics have included: effective communication, managing your child’s behaviors, creating a healthy lifestyle for the whole family, and many more.
Who can go on a respite weekend?
David’s Refuge offers three types of caregiving weekends
- Single Parent: if you are a single mom or dad we are so excited about our single parent weekends. They are customized specifically for amazing moms and dads like you.
- 1st and 2nd Stay Caregiving Couple: These weekends will have a smaller guest to host ratio. This more intimate setting allows our new guests to receive the same gift of time and guidance that our return guests received on their first stays.
- 3rd Stay and above Caregiving Couple: You are a David’s Refuge weekend guru. You know the value of time together to rejuvenate yourselves and your relationship. With a slightly larger guest to host ratio and a group dinner in lieu of breakfast each morning our hope is that you will dig deeper into your relationship and share with other couples who are on a similar self-care journey.
What is a Caregiving Couple?
A caregiving couple is a couple (married or not) that reside in the same home and both significantly care for the child with special needs or life threatening illness.
How do I qualify?
After completing an application and sending in your supporting documentation, the David’s Refuge team will review and evaluate your information. We do our best to look at a combination of diagnosis, supports in place and the level of care being provided each day.
What supporting documentation should I send in?
If you have a child with special needs we ask that you send in a copy of their OPWDD eligibility and their IEP, IFSP or Lifeplan. If your child has a life threatening illness we ask that you send in a letter from a specialist stating your child’s diagnosis and current treatment plan. If you are unsure what to send in for your child, please contact the office at 315.682.4204.
How long are the respite weekend stays?
We offer two-night getaway weekends, checking in Friday and checking out on Sunday.
How often can I come?
You are welcome to reapply for weekends respite once each year.
When is check-in?
At most of our locations check-in time is 3:00 p.m. or after. Check-out time is usually 11:00 a.m.
What is a weekend Host?
Hosts work alongside innkeepers during a David’s Refuge weekend to welcome and support a fully relaxed stay. They have first-hand experience with the demands of caregiving as well as an understanding of need for respite and self-care. These volunteers put the caring into the weekend, facilitating meaningful connections and, most importantly, listening. These experiences have a profound and meaningful impact on parents, the way they see their life, and their ability to move forward from a place of strength.
What kind of program do you offer on respite weekends?
David’s Refuge offers a non-program program. Our goal is to provide you an opportunity to unplug from life and take time to refresh and restore yourself. Your hosts will be unobtrusively available during your stay to listen and encourage you to press on in the task of leading and loving your family. We have three types of caregiving weekends, all designed to care for parents in the best way we can. Each of our weekends offers a combination of time together to connect with other moms and dads and time on your own.
How much does the weekend respite cost?
Accommodations on a David’s Refuge respite weekend are offered to qualified caregivers free of charge, expenses being underwritten by the generous support of donors. This covers the cost of your room, breakfast, dinner both evenings of your stay, and several other amenities.
Where are you located?
David’s Refuge partners with 22 locations throughout Central New York, the Southern Tier and Western New York. Please follow this LINK to see a list of our locations.
Can I choose the location for my respite weekend?
Once you qualify you will receive our calendar link with our available dates and locations. You are free to choose any available opening on the calendar.
What if I have to cancel my weekend respite?
Cancellation Policy: If you have to cancel your weekend respite for any reason, David’s Refuge cannot guarantee an alternate date for you in this calendar year. You will be placed on our cancellation list.
Can I bring my children on my respite weekend?
No. David’s Refuge weekends are designed for parents/guardians to get away and be recharged.
Who will watch my children for my respite weekend?
You will be responsible to find appropriate care for your children. Many of our guests utilize family members or friends; others find caregivers through schools and agencies they are connected to or by networking with other parents.
Are there any funds available to help with childcare?
Yes. David’s Refuge will help offset the cost of caring for your child with special needs if needed through a generous grant from The Jim and Juli Boeheim Foundation. Our respite reimbursement program is designed to help those that would otherwise be unable to pay for their respite care expenses. If you receive respite through an agency, those funds must be utilized before you apply for funding from David’s Refuge. David’s Refuge reimburses the respite provider directly.
Does the location have pets?
Some of our locations have pets. If you have allergies, please come prepared or choose a location that does not have pets.
Are your locations handicapped accessible?
Most B&B’s and Inns are not accessible. David’s Refuge does partner with several locations that are accessible. If you have a physical condition in which you need special accommodations, please contact David’s Refuge and discuss your needs with our Guest Relations Manager. We will do our best to find accessible accommodations for you.
Am I allowed to smoke?
Sorry, all of our locations are non-smoking buildings and properties.
What is the Parent Night Out Program?
The parent night out program is a once a year dinner program available for our David’s Refuge community. With two dining options, guests can schedule dinner at one of our partnered restaurants, or take part in a “Group Dinner” at select locations. Guests will be given the Parent Night Out calendar of available dinner reservations three months after their application is approved. Dinners are valued at $50 per reservation.
What events does David’s Refuge host during the year?
David’s Refuge hosts a variety of event throughout the year, for parents and families, with our many wonderful partner! The event include: Valentine’s Date Night, Hop into Spring, Beauty of Mom, Dad’s BBQ, Summer Celebration, Halloween Parade, Cookies with Santa and more! Please follow this link to our events page to find out more information and to register for any of our upcoming events.
What is a Community Champion Grant?
The Community Champion Grant is a program dedicated to supporting and revitalizing families within the special needs community. With this grant, community members will be given funding of $250-$500 to plan and execute an event or project for other special needs families in their community. Follow this Link to the application.
What are some ways I can support someone who will stay at David’s Refuge?
You can remind them it is OK for them to have a break; it will make them a better parent. You can offer to care for their children or pets while they are away. You can send a donation to David’s Refuge to help cover the expense of the getaway. You can help pay for their travel expenses if they are coming a long distance.
How do I apply?
Please fill out our online application and send in your supporting documentation. Once eligibility is determined, we will contact you. If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to us at 315.682.4204 or firstname.lastname@example.org.