When we think of self-care, we often think of things like exercise, meditation, and getting enough sleep. But there’s another aspect of self-care that’s often overlooked: comfort food! Yes, I’m talking about that big bowl of macaroni and cheese, a steaming hot bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup, mom’s famous meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy, or a gooey toasted cheese sandwich. Just reading the names of these foods makes me feel warm and good all over!
Comfort food is usually associated with warm, nostalgic memories from our childhood. It’s the food we turn to when we’re feeling sad, stressed, or just need a pick-me-up. And while some may see comfort food as indulgent or unhealthy, there is little doubt that comfort food, especially when enjoyed with others can improve our emotional well-being, improve our mood, and help us feel more relaxed and at ease. So the next time you are feeling stressed out, anxious, or overwhelmed, and need something to soothe your emotions, pull out one of your mom’s old recipes and make something yummy for you and those you love.
So, what is one of your favorite comfort foods? One of my favorites is Macaroni and Cheese. I made a more modern but simple version just last week using my instant pot. It was so easy, and Brenda loved it. Here is the recipe I used. https://thesaltymarshmallow.com/instant-pot-mac-and-cheese/
- 16 Ounces Uncooked Elbow Macaroni
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Hot Pepper Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- ½ Cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- ½ -1 Cup Milk
- Add the uncooked macaroni, chicken broth, butter, hot sauce, garlic powder, pepper, and salt to the Instant Pot.
- Place the lid on the pot and set to sealing. Cook on manual function, high pressure for 5 minutes. Then, do a quick release.
- Add the milk, then the cheese to the pot in 3-4 handfuls, stirring in between each addition until smooth and creamy. Season as necessary to taste.
So, what is your favorite Comfort Food! I can’t wait to try it.